Saturday, July 11, 2009

Wings by Aprilynne Pike



Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Publisher: HarperTeen
Category: Young Adult
294 Pages

From Pike's website:
Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful--too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.


Wings wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting just a romance, not the action that took place at the end. I loved how Pike took a mythological creature and put her spin on it. Her faeries aren't like most mainstream ones. They are plants, basically. This could upset some fairy lovers, but I thought it was a very unique.

Pike's descriptions were so vivid in this story. My biggest hope is that in the sequel the characters become less cut-and-dry. Laurel is a very well developed character - but the others aren't as developed. David just seems to nice at this point. I wanted some jealously, not him turning a blind eye toward Tamani. Speaking of Tamani, I can't wait to learn more about him. I kept picturing him as a taller Pip from Fern Gully- minus the wings.

Overall, this is a stunning debut novel. Even if the subject isn't your favorite, you will love Pike's writing style. I have a feeling that this novel will push Pike towards becoming a huge name in the business.

Ratings (Out of 10):
Plot: 7
Characters: 7
Romance: 6
Writing style: 8
Originality/Memorable: 10
Total: 38/50 (C)

Sign

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading this one right now... I'm on the fourth chapter I think, but its pretty good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the cover on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this book-- It was a great, quick read. x)

    Just a note, but don't you think it is a little harsh to judge a book by its romance content? I know a ton of really great YA books that have little to zero romance. So, would they rate very low on your scale? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds interesting....
    Idk why i'm N2 fairies, I like Melissa Marrs Books

    ReplyDelete