Monday, August 3, 2009

Beastly by Alex Flinn



Beastly by Alex Flinn


Publisher: HarperTeen
Category: Young Adult
336 Pages

I am a beast. A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog, but a horrible new creature who walks upright – a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I’m talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It’s no deformity, no disease. And I’ll stay this way forever – ruined – unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I’ll tell you. I’ll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and a perfect life. And then, I’ll tell you how I became perfectly beastly.


I picked this up from the library for two reasons: I've heard great reviews and it's going to be a movie. It's going to be an awesome movie. Flinn is an amazing story teller, taking a classic tale and putting her own spin on it. I plan on picking up other books by her soon!

The characters are awesome. Kyle begins as the guy we all love to hate. He's an arrogant sob that was raised to be just that. It was awesome watching him grow up and into Adrian. I want to meet a girl like Lindy. She seems like she'd be an amazing friend. Kendra was awesome as well - I wish there was a little bit more of her in the book.

The plot is flawless. Flinn succeeded with making the story more modern and from The Beast's point-of-view. She could have butchered the idea of the classic story, but she pulled it off! I totally recommend picking this up!

A

Sign

1 comment:

  1. This review sounds like Beastly is a great book! Thanks for the review, I'll have to check it out soon. :)

    ReplyDelete