Monday, August 17, 2009

The Midnight Charter by David Whitley



The Midnight Charter by David Whitley

Publisher: Roaring Book Press (September 1st 2009)
Category: Children (9-12)
336 Pages

In a society based on trade, where everything can be bought and sold, the future rests on the secrets of a single document-and the lives of two children whose destiny it is to discover its secrets. In this spellbinding novel, newcomer David Whitley has imagined a nation at a crossroads: misshaped by materialism and facing a choice about its future. He has brought to life two children who will test the nation's values-and crafted a spellbinding adventure story that will keep readers turning the pages until the very end.

I just couldn't get into this book whatsoever. I tried to. From the reviews I've read so far I'm apparently the only person with this book that didn't like it.

The characters were interesting, but I couldn't make myself really care for any of them. Lily and doctor Theo were my favorite characters. I managed to halfway care for. I didn't care for Mark very much at all.

My main issue with this book is that it dances around the plot until about the last hundred or so pages. Then you finally find out what the Midnight Charter is. I did like how the story showed how the smallest things we do can affect everyone. It was interesting to think about. I think I'd recommend this one from the library.

C-


Sign

No comments:

Post a Comment